Thursday, March 4, 2010

Trendsetter

On the way to school this morning, Keller nonchalantly announced, "When I grow up, I'm going to be a bat." I found this amusing and just kept my listening ears open for the rest of the conversation. Declan replied, "You can't be a bat. People can't change into animals." (Obviously!) "Unless God wants you to, of course." Of course. Why didn't I think of that? Keller responded condescendingly, "I'll just wear all black." (Why not? That's what Batman did!)

When we got home, Keller took off one shoe and one shoe only. He's been doing this lately. I'll find the lone shoe under the table or lying askew in the entryway. He runs around, happy as a clam and completely oblivious, one foot properly shoed and the other just...socked. I have no idea what he's doing or, rather, what's going through his little mind. The other day I looked at him and said, "Keller, what are you doing?" He looked at me innocently and said, "What?" As if he really had no idea what I meant! So I've just chalked this up to his quirky personality. No harm done, right? Then today I walked into the playroom and saw Keller and my daughter, Brynnley, sitting contentedly at the puzzle table, BOTH one-shoed. "Brynnley, why are you only wearing one shoe?" I asked. "Because Keller's only wearing one shoe," she replied, as if it ought to be obvious.

This is an unpleasant development! I have a mischievous trendsetter and, apparently, a little follower. Who knows what he'll come up with next? Who knows when he will choose to wield his power!? Like the vicious trendsetter who decided that leggings could be worn by people not performing in the movie Flashdance...or the hairstylist who decided that mullets sported by the likes of Billy Ray Cyrus and Michael Bolton could and should be worn by the mainstream public (unless, of course, you are MacGyver, the lone, legitimate exception, because you rocked the mullet!)...or the evil man (you know who you are, Ashton Kutcher) who decided that trucker's hats should be worn by people not driving semis. Droplet examples in the water bucket of trends that never should have started...or caught on...and I have the makings of it in my own house! The brain and the perpetuator! Woe to the children of the next decade!!

Maybe it will be something simple and not too scary for Mom. Maybe, as he suggested, he'll just wear all black. =) I could handle that. Everyone else would think he was trying to adapt the Goth look of the 90s or the Emo look of the Oughts...but I'd know it was even better, and simpler, than that...he's a bat!!

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHA Oh my goodness, I keep sharing your stories with the girl in the cube beside me while I read. We just crack up. I'm glad you're keeping track of this stuff now, it will be great to look back and laugh even more when he's a teenager!=)=)

    ReplyDelete