Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Off the Grid...and Finding My Way Back

Well, what could possibly explain a seven-month hiatus from the blogosphere? In a word, gestation. (If you don't know what it means, look it up!) Seriously though, we found out December 13 that we were expecting again, our sixth (yes, you read that correctly!) Almost immediately I began to experience nausea and extreme fatigue which lasted until about 13 weeks, at which time I happened to get very sick, which lasted for another two!

Granted, that doesn't account for the subsequent two and a half months I was off the grid. Would it be believable to simply say I was busy? And then, although there was certainly NO LACK of bloggable happenings, time continued to slip by, day piling upon day piling upon day, and the prospect of being able to adequately catch up seemed...monumental!

Since Christmas and the beginning of my horizontal expansion, we have also celebrated three birthdays. Brynnley turned four in January, Declan turned seven in March and Kennedy celebrated her very first birthday only a few days prior. Oddly enough, the child didn't like her cake! Now, allow me to explain. She was served a perfectly delectable yellow cake. I mean, I enjoyed it. (Although, I am, admittedly, NOT picky right now.) Apparently, she simply suffers from an ingrained affinity for chocolate, which we have now discovered. Takes after her Daddy in that respect!

Declan and Keller have also participated in the spring soccer season for NRUSA in Blacksburg, so we've been busy with practices and games. I've been traveling to and fro to Charlotte on a regular basis in an effort to stay as involved as possible in the planning of and showers for my sister Pam's upcoming nuptuals later this month. In April we had a high-tech look at our little peanut, around the 19-week mark, and discovered we clearly have yet another boy! Keller adamantly insisted that he was privy to this information all along, he just chose to keep us in the dark about it. Maintain the suspense and all that, I suppose. ;) We HAVE selected another good Irish name for this little lad, which I do not yet feel compelled to reveal to the masses. However, suffice it to say that his future initials will be R.E.J.!

The boys continue to do well at Dayspring Christian Academy, Brynnley is enjoying preschool and McCrea's conversational skills improve by the day! In addition, my sweet little Kennedy, who can bring out the drama queen to rival her big sister, began to walk before her first birthday and has since been into everything. Literally. I spend the majority of my days chasing her around to keep her out of trouble or evading her in my fleeting attempts to accomplish a minimal number of tasks that cannot be done with a baby on the hip or latched around the ankles. (Honestly, I can do most things, including going to the bathroom, dressing children, making dinner, etc., one-handed, but sometimes two are just preferred.) So, I pass the days attempting to educate, play or just (who am I kidding?) survive the hours until Kennedy naps so that in the ensuing span of a couple hours I can squeeze in exercising, bed-making, dishwashing, clothes-folding and the like in a mad flurry of activity. Is it obvious to anyone why I've not had much time for blogging? ;)

In addition to regular day-to-day life, we've also had an inordinate number of house maintenance issues in the last few months, mostly involving the breakdown of appliances, which I will have to detail in another blog, because a small paragraph here would not do either the descriptions of the circumstances nor my frustrations justice! Sigh...

So, that's where I've been for the first half of 2011. Here, in Dublin, continuing to hang in there and love and mother my children as best I can, praying for God to graciously work out His will in the midst of the mess I inevitably make of things.

And why, you may be tempted yet too polite to ask, would we add a sixth addition to the mix? Well, we consider ourselves to be amazingly blessed to parent all these incredible, amazing, beautiful(and, yes, sometimes infuriating) children and would not change any aspect of the life God has allotted to us in the least. However, I will say, as I admitted to someone recently, this will be the last. Because, honestly, I'm finally starting to get tired! (It was only a matter of time really...did I forget to mention, in April I turned 31 and, oh, how my pregnant self is feeling it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment