Friday, January 27, 2012

Day 12-Book Snob

I do not have the luxury of being particular about many things. But, I am particular about books. They sit on my bookshelf just so, separated into categories obvious only to me. When I read one, I am careful not to bend the spine or the pages too much. I like to maintain the integrity of the book itself as long as possible. I handle them carefully, because I am re-reader. I will read those I love over and over, and the better preserved through each reading, the longer a book is likely to last. This is important to me, because I have no intention of going over to the electronic dark side. I know it appeals to some, but I love holding a book in my hands. Turning the pages one by one Visually marking my progress through the story. Tangibly anticipating the climax and resolution!

I am also particular about the type of book I read. Some books, for one reason or another, just do not appeal to me. I cannot always put my finger on the why. Sometimes, just an impression or topic. I prefer books I consider more artistic in literary form. Stylistically unique or gripping. An interesting point of view. Old classics or destined to be. That does not mean I am unable to enjoy or appreciate other types, just that I don't gravitate to them. For this reason, I think my family secretly, or not-so-secretly, considers me a "book snob."

I don't mean to be snobbish about my literary preferences but, since I have limited time to read, I usually have to make my choices carefully. There isn't much extra reading time to expand my horizons. However, on occasion, I have been prodded into reading a book that I originally avoided and been pleasantly surprised by how much I actually enjoyed it!

For a long time I refused to jump on the Harry Potter-bandwagon. I "snobbishly" felt anything that popular probably wasn't the type of novel I would enjoy. However, when I finally picked it up, I was surprised to discover it had so much more depth and wit and creativity than I expected! I have reread them several times, including reading them aloud to my husband and children. I have been a devoted fan since. (I also became a fan of the Twilight series in the same way. And, in the same way, many are either vehemently against them or obsessively for them! I won't digress into a full-length blog on why I enjoy them so much but, suffice it to say, I enjoy that they draw on classic themes and creatively weave those themes through-out a vividly-imagined and compelling fantasy.)

The point is, I will sheepishly admit that I am often a "book snob," but I am usually thankful for the times when I have been pushed out of my comfort zone, prompted to try new things or pressed on with a book I was unsure about. For this reason, I am thankful to be part of a Book Club. Selection rotates through the members, so I am always exposed to the interests and preferences of others. As someone who easily becomes entrenched in my own little world, this is a good thing. If not for this, I would not have picked up "One Thousand Gifts." It wasn't a book I would have chosen for myself...but I am thankful someone else chose it for me.

I'm thankful for good books and thankful that God doesn't leave me entrenched in my own little world either; He continually pursues me every day, because I am His, and He knows me better than I know myself.

276) the spot on my husband's chest where I fit perfectly
277) the tiny cleft in my baby's chin
278) the delicate crystals frosting over glass
279) the ability to easily visit family
280) the anticipation of a surprise
281) the complimentary flavors of peppermint and chocolate
282) the transformation of toddler-speak into sentences
283) the pleasure of a good book
284) the pirate ship on the playground
285) the beautiful and stately church spires rising above the tree-line
286) the naturally-sweet, juicy peach
287) the invention of peanut butter
288) the rolling hills of the southern Virginia valley
289) the lack of traffic en route to Charlotte
290) the sun setting into the waters of Lake Norman
291) the waiting meal for our famished family
292) the children's enthusiastic searching of the night sky for incoming and departing airplanes
293) the welcoming city lights
294) the glass of sweet, strawberry wine
295) the full, happy baby playing with his toes for Grandma
296) the baby, held high in Papa's arms, laughing happily
297) the safe travels
298) the inspiring songs of Christian musicians
299) the warm scent of the burning Balsam and Cedar Yankee Candle
300) the corrective lenses that adjust my vision and prevent headaches

No comments:

Post a Comment