Sunday, January 29, 2012

Day 15-Psalm 8

Sometimes during the day I feel stalled, wanting to give thanks but struggling for a starting point. During these moments I go to a window and let my eyes wander over world outside.

Romans 1:20 says, "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse." In God's handiwork I not only see intricate and admirable beauty but also reflections of His magnificence. I consider Psalm 8...


O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!
You have set your glory above the heavens.
From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise
because of your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger.
When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,
what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?
You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings
and crowned him with glory and honor.
You made him ruler over the works of your hands;
you put everything under his feet:
all flocks and herds, and the beasts of the field,
the birds of the air, and the fish of the sea,
all that swim in the paths of the seas.
O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!


If the Lord is sovereign over ALL this marvelous creation, for which He deserves the highest praise and thanks, and yet, still cares for me, personally and intimately, such that Psalm 139 says...

For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

...then I am not only blessed with myriad visible reminders of His incomparable majesty whenever I look around me, but I also have great confidence in his specific and purposeful care for me.

I admire His creation, awestruck. His goodness is evident everywhere. How could I not see it and give thanks?

351) the large, delicate snowflakes
352) the slow, soft snow-falling, almost lingering in the air
353) the elegant tree branches, frosted white
354) the kissable nose of daughter
355) the little feet standing on mine while she embraces my legs
356) the tree-bark crevices holding pockets of snow
357) the gradual spread of pristine white over grassy green
358) the Veggie-tales stories
359) the glistening water droplets suspended on extended tree limbs
360) the dark green ivy climbing over an aging tree stump
361) the sweet crunch of banana chips
362) the tangy and textured dried apricot
363) the homey warmth of my brown curtains
364) the happiness of wrapping my almost-too-big-to-pick-up three year old in a hug
365) the rest-time on the couch, wrapped in a soft, warm blanket, head on my husband's lap
366) the creamy thyme-cheese sauce poured over angel hair pasta and sauteed vegetables
367) the sound of my sons practicing their spelling words
368) the pink flower in my daughter's hair
369) the dishes being cleaned by my husband
370) the rosy flush of my baby's cheeks after snuggling close
371) the healthy appetite of my children
372) the bubbles floating about the kitchen, delighting my daughters
373) the joyful moment of dancing with my son
374) the rocking with my baby before bed
375) the reading of the Word to the children

No comments:

Post a Comment