Saturday, January 28, 2012

Day 14-Perspective

I'm finding that perspective can make all the difference. And things that typically irritate me can hold blessings in disguise. The truth of the old adage "every cloud has a silver lining" is poignant and real.

I once saw blankets and sheets piled over my table in tent-like fashion as additions to the list of things I'd be cleaning up that day. An annoyance and a chore. Now I find I am capable of looking past that to see the happiness on my children's faces as they exercise their creativity and imaginations. I once stood outside thinking only of the negatives, the chill, the difficulty of constantly tracking them with my eyes. Counting one, two, three, four, five. Knowing where they are at all times, safe and secure. Now I am able to see their cold cheeks, pink with exertion and glee. I mark their busy trails all over our yard and thank the Lord for our .625 acres, an expanse we would have been hard pressed to find in our former city.

People ask the question, "is the glass half full or half empty?" to determine your outlook on life...are you an optimist or a pessimist? I like the joke-alternative, the engineer's response, you just need a different glass! How true! God's blessings are everywhere and the glass is ALWAYS full...if you have the right glass.

It's all a matter of perspective, because it's not about being optimistic or pessimistic by nature. It's about being self-centered by nature versus seeking to be Christ-centered through the Spirit. Cultivating a grateful heart means framing every circumstance with the question, "How can I thank God for this?" And even if it's not thanks for the immediate now, we can always offer thanks in the now with hope for the future, for "we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28)

326) the much-needed night of better rest
327) the memory foam pillow that supports my head and neck
328) the child's hunt for, and avoidance of, stinkbugs
329) the fine, dark granules of cocoa mix
330) the little arms that give sweet, baby hugs
331) the colors of the spectrum displayed in my children's drawings
332) the steam wafting into my face as I sip from my mug
333) the gray bear with dark magenta bow, first Valentine's gift from my husband, still sitting on our bed
334) the all-too-brief moment when my usually-busy 3 year old sprawled contentedly across my lap
335) the pointy, impish ears of my son, inherited from his Daddy
336) the windowpane shadows in blocks of bright sunlight
337) the joy of singing "This is the Day!" in the morning
338) the sight of my son standing in front of the glowing window making shadows on the floor
339) the way my sleepy baby rubs his eyes with his little fists as he wakes up
340) the reading of "Goodnight Moon"
341) the persistence of my daughter in searching the sky for the moon every time we go outdoors
342) the cardboard and construction paper rocket, thrown into the air to simulate flight
343) the children's excitement when Daddy gets home
344) the children's continued safety and protection from harmful accidents
345) the neck rub that eased some of the ache and tension-pain
346) the water beading on the crisp red-purple grapes
347) the sweet, spicy scent of cinnamon
348) the decadent, authentic Ukrainian chocolate
349) the blessing of praying with fellow believers
350) the handmade metal diffuser that circulates heat throughout the house

No comments:

Post a Comment