Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Day 16-One Nation Under God

In light of this year's upcoming election, politics is often at the forefront of news and discussions. It's common for these discussions over the state of our country to become heated. Everyone has an opinion regarding the best course and which candidate is best equipped to lead us on that path. Everyone is concerned about the future, fiscal and moral accountability, the economy, social responsibility versus limited government. There is an extensive and often controversial list.

I studied politics in college, even minored in the subject. Over the years I prided myself on being well informed, introducing my husband to the importance of political awareness and involvement. I also tended to worry about it frequently. Then I reached a point where I realized my worry was an affront to God, who says in Hebrews 13: 1, "for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God."

Paul made that statement during a time in which the Jews lived under the authority of Rome. They were governed by non-Christians and probably also persecuted for their beliefs. My Bible's commentary on this verse says "even the possibility of a persecuting state did not shake Paul's conviction that civil government is ordained by God."

How then should I respond to my government, once a nation that claimed to be under God and yet which now denies and defies Him, implicitly and explicitly, in turn?

Submit to the authority, then participate in every manner provided by the governing Constitution to make my views and preferences known. But, do not worry. Be diligent...and then trust. In Matthews 6 Jesus says, "Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or stow away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?...Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself."

God is not unaware of our current plight. He is not surprised by anything that we face. Therefore, should I not trust in His ability to provide exactly what is needed, according to His will, in all situations?

Where freedoms and rights and livelihoods are at stake, passionate discourse is important. I have no less passion or concern for these issues than I once did, but I choose not to be angry or to allow anxiety to creep into my heart regarding the future. Regardless of the election results and the implications it may have, good or bad, the future is in the Lord's hands, and I am thankful for it! The fact that our nation may no longer acknowledge God's authority does not in any way diminish the fact that He IS still on the throne, and every power, ruler and authority exists under His sovereignty.


376) the smell of my husband's cologne lingering in the house
377) the smiling little girl playing with her baby doll
378) the raspberry kisses on my baby's belly
379) the discernment to select a reliable, new dentist
380) the contented and cooperative play of my children
381) the scent of my Home Sweet Home Yankee candle
382) the contrast of cool cream cheese on a warm, toasted bagel
383) the freedom to participate in the political process
384) the tart, red cranberry
385) the daily prayers of faithful around the world, offered on behalf of our leaders
386) the boxes of shoes stored away for future use
387) the freedom to openly worship and attend church
388) the freedom to educate my children as I choose
389) the existence of excellent Christian schools
390) the ability to be a stay-at-home Mom
391) the spectacular rock wall on the side of the mountain
392) the sound of my daughter singing nursery rhymes
393) the excellent writings of J.R.R. Tolkein
394) the blessing of abundant leftovers
395) the crunchy almond
396) the tender, buttery cashew nut
397) the children eating pickles on forks
398) the sound of my children singing the alphabet
399) the piggy bank payout, teaching our children fiscal responsibility
400) the review of our upcoming budget

No comments:

Post a Comment