Friday, January 27, 2012

Day 13-Slipping

My daughter sits on the couch screaming through a tantrum, and my head pounds. I cannot think straight, and I look around struggling. God, please help me be thankful today! But, I'm not seeing it. I didn't see it all weekend.

We woke up Saturday morning in my parent's house and, from the early rising-hour, we were on the go. It was raining and gray, and we were out the door for a family breakfast. I tried to maintain the fledgling habit of thanks-giving, but it so easily slipped away with the morning. It was a good day, a good weekend, with LOTS of things to be thankful for. I just wasn't intentional about noting any of it.

I can see why people say that forming a new habit takes consistency. Any break in that routine can so easily throw you off, and all your resolve slips away. I am frustrated with myself. Should it be so easy to overlook God's goodness? Can I still call this "Day 13" when, technically, it isn't? It is the thirteenth day of actual list-making but not the thirteenth consecutive day since I started. Oh, that grates on me.

I even find myself a little irritated with the dog, again, as I spy her curled up in one of the kid's bean bag chairs. My head is still pounding, and my daughter is still fussing, but there's no real reason for the irritation. I am mindful of Paul's words in Romans 7:18, "I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out."

However, he continues in chapter 8 verse 26, "In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express." What comfort! God, help me to persevere today. Help me to slowly press on. Let the peace and contentment that come through thankfulness not slip away.

I close my eyes and think, hard. One at a time. One methodical offering of thanks at a time, and praying the Lord will bless it...

301) the orange haze in the black night sky as lights play games in the atmosphere
302) the safe return home
303) the crunch of frosty grass under my feet
304) the compassionate help of another mother
305) the sniffling of a reluctantly calming child
306) the open-mouthed wonder of a child at an unexpected pleasure
307) the fog hovering about the trees
308) the joy of singing loudly
309) the bright green roof on the old barn shed
310) the news of a possible adoption that would be a blessing to many
309) the little brow creased in thought
310) the tree shadows spreading across the lawn
311) the peaceful rest of a weary child
312) the fan blowing the sting of onion from my nose and eyes
313) the aroma of simmering savory spices
314) the box of recipes thoughtfully compiled by my sister
315) the seeds that will produce a bountiful garden
316) the softening pinkish hue of fluffy cloud
317) the extra humidifier, given by a friend
318) the medicine that is both gentle enough and strong enough for my baby
319) the coat that keeps me warm on cold, wintry days
320) the peppermint in my daughter's handmade five-senses book
321) the willingness of a brother to help his little sister
322) the sight of my husband and baby making faces at each other
323) the piggyback ride for my son
324) the joy of singing "You Are My Sunshine" to my little ones
325) the Date Night planned by my husband

No comments:

Post a Comment